Sewing dungarees (did they fit?)

Sewing with the Home Sewn Nursery


I have recently started to learn how to sew by sewing a taggie blanket for my daughter. Since then I have made a personalised taggie for my friend's new born and that seemed to go down quite well. I thought it looked imperfect but they seemed to love it and it was the first gift that had the baby's name on it so I was chuffed. I had gone out and bout a few metres of fabric, along with some fat quarters and wanted to get sewing on something other than a taggie blanket so I went out and bought a new book - Home Sewn Nursery by Tina Barrett. Home Sewn Nursery I wasn't sure what book I wanted and had previously borrowed a book from the local library but found that I wanted to make things but I had to find a way to increase the imaged by 200-400%. After fighting with my scanner and computer I gave up. I then went to Hobbycraft to get inspiration and I saw this book. The selling point for me was that the book included full size templates for every pattern!!! Amazing. The book has an assortment of patterns to choose from, from a reversible buggy liner, changing bag to a quilted cot blanket, hooded towel or a variety of toys and clothing. Since having put Molly in her first pair of dungarees I have fallen in love with the look of baby's in dungarees so when I saw a pattern for dungarees included in this book I just had to make them. Having already bought material it was a case of choosing which one to use for this pattern. I went for the dog material as it was the darkest material I had and with Molly rolling about the floor a lot I thought it would be better than a mostly white material. We are also dog lovers so I thought it was cute. Now I have barely used a sewing machine, or made anything from a pattern, so I was unsure how this was going to work out but thankfully the book has easy to understand and follow instructions which have pictures to help you along the way. After only an hour or so I had made the front of the dungarees with added pocket. It was easy to do and made me feel like I might just manage. I was worried that the leg length looked very short but I needn't have worried. dungareesfront The next task was sewing the back of the dungarees. This was as simple as the front and this time I finished off the look by sewing two pockets in contrasting material on the back. sewingmachine   I then had the task of joining the font and back together and adding some additional material to the straps in the contrasting stripes. I was meant to use double-sided interfacing but as a complete novice I didn't have any, nor did I know what that was so I missed out this step out. It makes the material stiffer apparently but I don't think the dungarees are missing this. After a bit of fiddling about I added the leg cuffs and strip of material for the poppers around the legs and I was done. The last steps took quite a while to do but I had wanted to add some decoration by sewing around the arms with double needles but one needle kept skipping stitches or the thread broke so I gave up on that idea and just sewed round with the single needle. dungarees So any sewers out there know what I was doing wrong with the double needle? It would stitch well for a while then go to pot. I had it set according to my machines manual but it just did not work.
Family Fever

Training Mummy

Training Mummy is a 30 something mum to two beautiful children - a girl born February 2014 and a boy born in October 2015.

9 comments :

  1. Thanks, though the poppers keep opening so will have to see about changing them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you! They are fantastic! So cute x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. In just impressd they fit and thera are no holes lol. The book makes making the items so easy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, those dungarees are gorgeous - well done you! Sounds like a great book, wish I was a bit more craetive lol. Thanks for linking up with #TriedTested

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Don't have to be creative to do this (I'm not).

    ReplyDelete
  6. […] I compare it to another project that I made - some dungarees – I have to say that this book is not quite as good and many of the patterns are maybe a bit […]

    ReplyDelete